FIRST ON THE BLOG: This has been going on for weeks now, but was waiting to talk to KAIT 8’s President and General Manager Chris Conroy to talk about KAIT’s newest digital subchannel on local news, but after hearing nothing for weeks, I just gave up. So, I did the research myself and found the information I needed to know. Sorry that I took late, I know.
Anyways, KAIT 8’s digital subchannel, which is now offering NBC programming to Northeastern Arkansas, is now simulcasting several (not all) local newscasts from sister station (and nearby market) WMC 5 in Memphis. Here is what the subchannel carries from WMC 5:
- 4:30-5:00 AM: WMC Action News 5 Today at 4:30 a.m. (weekdays)
- 5:00-5:30 AM: WMC Action News 5 Today at 5:00 a.m. (weekdays)
- 5:30-6:00 AM: WMC Action News 5 Today at 5:30 a.m. (weekdays)
- 6:00-7:00 AM: WMC Action News 5 Today at 6:00 a.m. (weekdays)
- 5:00-5:30 PM: WMC Action News 5 at 5:00 (weeknights and weekends)
- 6:00-6:30 PM: WMC Action News 5 at 6:00 (weeknights and Saturdays)
- 10:00-10:35 PM: WMC Action News 5 at 10:00 (weeknights and weekends)
Obviously, as you can see, KAIT 8.2 doesn’t simulcast the 7:00-8:00 a.m. weekday morning portion (since its on WMC 5’s digital subchannel Bounce TV 5.2), the weekday noon or 4:00 p.m. newscast as well as the weekend morning newscasts or the Sunday 10:30 p.m. half-hour newscast. Paid programming is shown at noon instead, with Right This Minute and Jeopardy! showing at 4:00 and 4:30 p.m., respectively. On Saturdays, NBC Kids E/I programming is shown instead of the weekend morning newscast while The Today Show is shown instead on Sundays. The 10:30 p.m. Sunday half-hour newscast is instead replaced by Entertainment TONIGHT.
All of these local newscasts have local content inserted by KAIT 8, which means that there will be more local content between KAIT 8.1 and KAIT 8.2, depending on where the viewer wants to watch.
I like that KAIT 8.2 simulcasts some local news from WMC 5, since most people would receive WMC 5 on Cable in the area. A good move by Good Neighbors You Can Turn To (KAIT 8’s former slogan).