FIRST ON THE BLOG: See what we did in the title there? Anyways, the worst keep secret from this blog is out. It was a secret because we knew about this story for almost a month, but didn’t report on it because we were missing a key detail. Now that we have that detail, we can fill you in now.
Starting Monday September 14th, 2015, KMOV 4 will be adding a half-hour extension of News 4 This Morning, which will soon begin at 4:00 a.m. The new half-hour will effectively compete against St. Louis’ other 2 weekday morning newscasts, KTVI 2 (FOX)’s FOX 2 News in the Morning and KSDK 5 (NBC)’s NewsChannel 5 – Today in St. Louis. Both KTVI 2 and KSDK 5 have established their 4:00 a.m. newscasts for a few years now. The morning newscast is anchored by Andre Hepkins and Emily Rau.
Also starting on that day, KMOV 4 will add a half-hour 4:00 p.m. newscast, obviously called News 4 at 4:00 (the station’s newscasts were known as News 4 St. Louis until around 2007-2008 when they dropped St. Louis from the title).
KMOV 4’s General Manager, Mike Murphy said in a statement obtained by The St. Louis Post-Dispatch at STLToday.com:
“It’ll be a full newscast of news, sports and weather. We’ll probably just go with one (as of yet undetermined) anchor on that.”
Murphy also said that the addition of the 4:00 p.m. newscast had been discussed for a long time. However, that means a long-time show leaves a long-time timeslot on KMOV 4.
Because of the addition of the 4:00 p.m. half-hour newscast, KMOV 4 will move The Young and The Restless from its long-time 4:00 p.m. post, to the new 11:00 a.m. timeslot, which will now go on before the half-hour News 4 at Noon. And because of this programming changes are made on KMOV 4. Here’s where you’ll find the shows at new times, starting Monday September 14th, 2015:
- 9:00-10:00 AM: Great Day St. Louis (KMOV 4’s lifestyle talk show, moves from 10:00 a.m. and replaces The Queen Latifah Show, which has been canceled.)
- 10:00-11:00 AM: The Price is Right (moves from 11:00 a.m.)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM: The Young and The Restless (moves from 4:00 p.m.)
- 12:00-12:30 PM: News 4 at Noon (will remain as is)
- 12:30-1:00 PM: The Bold and The Beautiful (will remain as is)
- 1:00-2:00 PM: The Talk (will remain as is)
- 2:00-3:00 PM: Let’s Make A Deal (will remain as is)
- 3:00-4:00 PM: Dr. Phil (will remain as is)
- 4:00-4:30 PM: News 4 at 4:00 (brand new newscast, replacing TYTR which moves to 11:00 a.m.)
- 4:30-5:00 PM: Inside Edition (moves from 11:35 p.m. and will fill the second half-hour of the 4:00 p.m. hour)
What this means is that for the first time, both The Young and The Restless and The Late Late Show will air in pattern with CBS on KMOV 4, as both shows were delayed by 5 hours and 30 minutes, respectively.
Mike Murphy on possibly viewer concerns about moving TYTR to 11:00 a.m.:
“But I hope it’s not a big a problem for them as it might have been in the days before DVRs and other recording devices.”
The new half-hour 4:00 p.m. newscast will compete against half-hour news on KSDK 5 and hour-long news on KPLR 11 (The CW).
So there you go folks. 4:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. news are coming to 4. Ha! I love puns. Enjoy, St. Louis!