It’s been a slow week at the blog headquarters, but I finally found a story to post on and it involves WCVB, AGAIN. Actually, for the second time in less than a month.
Starting Monday January 11th, 2016 (yes we’re going that far for this one), WCVB 5 is adding two weeknight half-hour newscasts, one at 4:30 and the other at 7:00 p.m.
The first afternoon newscast, NewsCenter 5 at 4:30, will now compete against WHDH 7 (NBC)’s 7 News at 4:30 for local news in that timeslot in the area, but WHDH 7 will continue to be the ONLY ones to start at 4:00 p.m. as WCVB 5 will air Inside Edition instead.
Speaking of Inside Edition, with that program moving to 4:00 p.m., WCVB 5 will replace it at 7:00 p.m. with NewsCenter 5 at 7:00, which will become Boston’s ONLY local newscast at that timeslot (unless if you also count NECN, the 24-hour regional newschannel that also does a LIVE newscast at 7:00 p.m.) and it would connect perfectly with WCVB 5’s newsmagazine, Chronicle, which will continue to air weeknights at 7:30 p.m.
WCVB 5’s News Director, Andrew Vrees:
“With the addition of these two newscasts, as well as the recently announced news expansion Sundays (and Saturdays as well) at 5:00 p.m., WCVB is better positioned to provide the news our viewers want at the times they want it. WCVB will provide a powerhouse block of news and information to our community including local news, the #1-rated national news, and the locally produced, award-winning ‘Chronicle’.”
WCVB 5’s President and GM, Bill Fine:
“WCVB is constantly looking for new and innovative ways to improve how we deliver news to our viewers, via all of our platforms — on air, web and mobile — which includes the WCVB news app, and social media. WCVB will be the only Boston television station with news at 7 p.m., and a perfect companion program for market favorite Chronicle at 7:30 p.m.Independent research showed that nearly half of the viewers that are available to watch TV at 7 p.m., would be extremely or very interested in a local newscast at that time.”
TVSpy, TVNewsCheck or New England One never mentioned who will anchor the news or weather, but possibly expect J.C. Monahan (formerly a Meteorologist with the station) and Phil Lipof (formerly from WABC 7 in New York City), StormTeam 5 Weather with Chief Meteorologist Harvey Leonard (formerly from WNEV/WHDH 7) as the 4:30 p.m. team. Ed Harding (formerly the sports anchor), Heather Unruh (reporter before taking the main anchor job), StormTeam 5 Weather with Chief Meteorologist Harvey Leonard and SportsCenter 5 director Mike Lynch (long-time veteran of the station) as part of the 7:00 p.m. team.
Here’s how the schedule will look like with the new newscasts that will take effect on Monday January 11th, 2016. Pay attention to all programming notes as they will take effect as well on that day:
- 4:00-4:30 AM: ABC America This Morning (ABC; stays the same)
- 4:30-5:00 AM: NewsCenter 5 EyeOpener at 4:30 a.m. (Local; stays the same)
- 5:00-6:00 AM: NewsCenter 5 EyeOpener at 5:00 a.m. (Local; stays the same)
- 6:00-7:00 AM: NewsCenter 5 EyeOpener at 6:00 a.m. (Local; stays the same)
- 7:00-9:00 AM: Good Morning America (ABC; stays the same)
- 9:00-10:00 AM: LIVE! with Kelly and Michael (Synd.; stays the same)
- 10:00-11:00 AM: Steve Harvey (Synd.; stays the same)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM: The View (ABC; stays the same)
- 12:00-12:30 PM: NewsCenter 5 at Noon (Local; stays the same)
- 12:30-1:00 PM: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? (Synd.; stays the same)
- 1:00-2:00 PM: The Chew (ABC; stays the same)
- 2:00-3:00 PM: General Hospital (ABC; stays the same)
- 3:00-4:00 PM: The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Synd.; moves up from 4:00 p.m. and replaces The Meredith Vieira Show)
- 4:00-4:30 PM: Inside Edition (Synd.; moves up from 7:00 p.m. and replaces The Ellen DeGeneres Show)
- 4:30-5:00 PM: NewsCenter 5 at 4:30 (Local; new newscast)
- 5:00-5:30 PM: NewsCenter 5 at 5:00 (Local; stays the same)
- 5:30-6:00 PM: NewsCenter 5 at 5:30 (Local; stays the same)
- 6:00-6:30 PM: NewsCenter 5 at 6:00 (Local; stays the same)
- 6:30-7:00 PM: ABC World News TONIGHT with David Muir (ABC; stays the same)
- 7:00-7:30 PM: NewsCenter 5 at 7:00 (Local; new newscast and replaces Inside Edition, which moves up to 4:00 p.m.)
- 7:30-8:00 PM: Chronicle (Local; stays the same as WCVB 5’s award-winning newsmagazine)
- 8:00-11:00 PM: ABC Primetime (ABC; stays the same)
- 11:00-11:35 PM: NewsCenter 5 TONIGHT at 11:00 (Local; stays the same)
- 11:35 PM-12:35 AM: Jimmy Kimmel LIVE! (ABC; stays the same)
- 12:35-1:05 AM: Nightline (ABC; stays the same)
- 1:05-2:05 AM: The Meredith Vieira Show (Synd.; moves down from 3:00 p.m. and replaces a repeat of WCVB 5’s 11:00 p.m. newscast as well as paid programming)
- 2:05-2:35 AM: NewsCenter 5 TONIGHT at 11:00 (Local; the rebroadcast could move to this timeslot to replace paid programming)
- 2:35-4:00 AM: ABC World News NOW (ABC; Tuesdays-Fridays; stays the same)
There is an exciting time happening right now at WCVB 5 as Boston’s News Leader is adding more newscasts to strive to remain #1 in Boston.