FIRST ON THE BLOG: If you’ve been following the upcoming affiliation switch between WRAL and WNCN, then get ready for newscasts to change on both stations. WRAL is already moving their 4:00pm newscast over from WRAZ to right at WRAL and now we’re learning that WNCN will be doing some shuffling of their own too.
When WNCN 17 gets CBS from WRAL 5 (which will then become NBC) on Monday February 29th, WNCN 17 will be making some changes as CBS programming will force WNCN 17 to move some newscasts around.
First, the 11:00am hour that consists of WNCN News NOW Midday, followed by My Carolina Today at 11:30am, will be broken up. The 11:00am midday newscast will move to 12:00 Noon and My Carolina Today will be aired LIVE at 9:00am, at which point Extra will follow at 9:30am. This is due to CBS having The Price is Right at 11:00am. WNCN 17 will finally compete against WRAL 5 and WTVD 11 (ABC)’s hour-long noon newscasts.
Up next, WNCN 17 will be adding an hour-long 5:00pm newscast with WNCN News NOW at 5:00. The new newscast will also finally compete against WRAL 5 and WTVD 11 in the 5:00 and 5:30pm timeslots in the market.
Lastly, WNCN 17 will get rid of its weeknight half-hour 7:00pm newscast after the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley. Instead, the station plans to air two episodes of Judge Judy, back to back at 7:00pm. They will also air another rerun episode at 12:30pm.
And speaking of that, it could be hard to believe, but WNCN 17 will keep the tradition that WRAL 5 started in the Triangle… by putting The Young and the Restless at 4:00pm. This will lead into WNCN 17’s new hour-long newscast at 5:00pm.
So, come Monday February 29th, this will be WNCN 17’s new weekday schedule:
- 4:00-4:30 AM: CBS Morning News (instead of Early Today)
- 4:30-7:00 AM:
WNCN News NOW This Morning (rebranded from WNCN News NOW Today)
- 7:00-9:00 AM: CBS This Morning (instead of Today)
- 9:00-9:30 AM: My Carolina Today (moved from 11:30am)
- 9:30-10:00 AM: Extra (moved from 3:00pm)
- 10:00-11:00 AM: Let’s Make a Deal
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM: The Price is Right
- 12:00-12:30 PM: WNCN News NOW at Noon (moved from 11:00am)
- 12:30-1:00 PM: Judge Judy (repeat; moved from 3:30pm)
- 1:00-1:30 PM: Justice with Judge Mablean (moved from 2 episodes at 12:00 Noon)
- 1:30-2:00 PM: The Bold and The Beautiful
- 2:00-3:00 PM: The Talk
- 3:00-4:00 PM: Ellen (moved from 4:00pm)
- 4:00-5:00 PM: The Young and The Restless (instead of Days of Our Lives)
- 5:00-6:00 PM: WNCN News NOW at 5:00
- 6:00-6:30 PM: WNCN News NOW at 6:00
- 6:30-7:00 PM: CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley (instead of NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt)
- 7:00-8:00 PM: Judge Judy (two episodes; moved from 5:00pm)
- 8:00-11:00 PM: CBS Primetime (instead of NBC Primetime)
- 11:00-11:35 PM: WNCN News NOW at 11:00
- 11:35 PM-12:35 AM: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (instead of The TONIGHT Show with Jimmy Fallon)
- 12:35-1:35 AM: The Late Late Show with James Corden (instead of Late Night with Seth Myers)
- 1:35-4:00 AM: TBD
Doug Hamilton, WNCN 17’s Vice President and General Manager:
“We’re committed to our viewers first. CBS programming is a great fit for this market and now we are adding more local news.”
So there you go. Details that you’ll only find FIRST on The Changing Newscasts Blog. I’m good at this.