It’s been September since I’ve done this and I finally have a list of newscasts debuting this weekend and its an important one, from Boston to Knoxville and Wilmington. Here is that list by day and time order. If there’s a tie, then its by market size. But nothing debuts on Saturday, only on Sunday.
Sunday January 1st, 2017
- 8:00-9:00 AM: 7 News – Today in New England at 8:00 a.m.
- 10:00-11:00 AM: 7 News – Today in New England at 10:00 a.m.
- 6:30-7:00 PM: 7 News at 6:30
- 7:00-7:30 PM: 7 News at 7:00
- 9:00-10:00 PM: 7 News at 9:00
- 10:00-11:00 PM: 7 News at 10:00
WHDH in Boston. This is the day it finally becomes Independent and with it, a slew of new newscasts. The 9:00am hour as well as the 6:00 and 11:00pm newscasts are kept. However, it gets rid of a 7:30am half-hour in favor of an hour at 8:00am and expands the 10:00am to a full hour, therefore becoming a three-hour weekend morning newscast. The weekend 6:30, 7:00 and 9:00pm editions will debut on this day with the 10:00pm simulcast from WLVI continuing with WHDH now being the main station for the 10:00pm newscast.
- 5:30-6:00 AM: NBC Boston News Today at 5:30 a.m.
- 6:00-7:00 AM: NBC Boston News Today at 6:00 a.m.
- 7:00-8:00 AM: NBC Boston News Today at 7:00 a.m.
- 9:00-10:00 AM: NBC Boston News Today at 9:00 a.m.
- 10:00-10:30 AM: NBC Boston News Today at 10:00 a.m.
- 6:00-6:30 PM: NBC Boston News at 6:00
- 11:00-11:35 PM: NBC Boston News TONIGHT at 11:00
WBTS in Boston. The station, simulcasting on WBTS 8.1, WNEU 60.2 and WMFP 60.5, will air its very first newscasts on this day. It will debut more news later on throughout the week as it becomes the newest NBC affiliate for Boston.
- 7:00-8:00 AM: WRAL Morning News at 7:00 a.m. on WILM-TV 10
WILM in Wilmington. The station becomes an Independent on this day and the only such changes for WILM on Sundays is the addition of the 7:00am hour of sister station WRAL 5 (NBC) in Raleigh’s Sunday morning newscast. The rest remains the same.
- 6:00-6:30 PM: WWAY NewsChannel 3 at 6:00
- 11:00-11:35 PM: WWAY NewsChannel 3 at 11:00
WWAY 3.2 in Wilmington. These are not new, however, it will now be simulcast on WWAY 3’s second digital subchannel as it becomes Wilmington’s new home for CBS. The 6:00pm will not be initially included due to a NFL on CBS double-header but that simulcast will be in there.
- 10:00-10:30 PM: WVLT Local 8 News at 10:00 on CW 20
WBXX in Knoxville. I first reported MONTHS AGO in August that WVLT 8 will take over production of WBXX 20’s newscasts starting in the new year and its almost here. Starting Sunday, WVLT 8 will be producing local newscasts for WBXX 20 and this will be the very first one. It will end a 5-year partnership between WBXX 20 and WATE 6 (ABC) in which it was started in August of 2011.
So that’s it for this weekend and it will be the last post I do for the year unless if other changes arise within the next 24 hours. If those changes arise, you’ll hear it first on social media. Until then, I thank you for reading the blog as 2016 has become the most successful year ever for the blog and I hope to make it even more successful in 2017! Tell your friends and family and TV news junkies about my blog and sign-up through e-mail for FREE for continuous updates.
Have a happy new year and I’ll be back in 2017, stronger and bigger than ever on THE Leader in The Latest News about Local Newscasts.